Friday, January 2, 2009

A Call for Effective Mentoring in College and Teaching Personal Branding

I apologize if the title of my latest blog entry is a bit ambitious but I am very passionate about these two subject matters. As the new year begins I have sworn to pursue both mentoring and personal branding. I have been teaching at local colleges for the past eight years, and feel that many do not offer a strategic plan regarding mentoring and networking for college students. There should be a class on Personal Branding and how to differentiate yourself in the marketplace. Semester after semester I have students approach me and ask how they can get a job in a specific industry. Students seem at a loss as to how to marketing themselves, which is ironic since most of my students are pursuing a degree in marketing. Here are some of my suggestions that I offer to each student:

1) You must have an idea of what interests you. What are you good at? What hobbies or talents do you have? Those are the industries you should target.
2) Update your resume to include not just where you worked, but what did you do for the company. Don't just say you are managed people for a retail store. Give specific quantitative facts that showed you increased productivity 20% or increased sales 10% versus last year. Students should also have multiple resumes that showcase specific skills. When you are applying for a sales job the resume should be focused on sales skills. Have a few ready to utilize based on the job you are pursuing. This is where personal branding is important. You must differentiate yourself from every other college student.
3)Personal Branding: Don't be afraid to network and advertise - YOURSELF. Join linkedin, Twitter and Facebook. Please clean up your Facebook account so that pictures of you drinking and passed out on the floor don't show when a potential business connection checks you out. Twitter is an amazing resource for networking. Search out people who are in the industry you want to join. Follow them and engage them with questions. You will be amazed at how willing they are to share ideas and information.

I am also constantly bothered by the fact that large companies offering lucrative jobs bypass my local university. There is a need to have companies such as Hershey, Frito Lay and Coke visit and recruit during on campus job fairs. I also wish that there was a better resource to utilize or match students with mentors during their college career. There are many companies that are looking for ambitious, intelligent students to work for their company. Somewhere though there is a disconnect.

An example occurred during my last semester. One of my students was desperately trying to find an internship for the Spring and wasn't sure what she wanted to do. I had her make a list of her skills and the type of responsibilities she would want in a job. Would she want to work in an office? Does she like to meet new people? Would she want the job to be writing intensive? She presented me the list and I gave her a few job industry selections. She thought about the industries and decided that based on our research she thought the Convention industry would be perfect for her. I contacted a friend of mine who worked as a manager for a Visitors and Convention Bureau and hoped that the two could meet. I was hoping that my student would perhaps find a mentor. The end result was even better than I hoped, as she was offered an internship for the Spring and was so excited for the opportunity. I believe that this should be happening in a more structured manner in the University setting.

Every semester I try and take a few minutes during a class and cover how to network and utilize social media for personal branding. I wish somehow I was able to spend more time on this subject matter so that students are prepared and self assured entering this difficult job market. Lastly if anyone reading this blog is interested in being a mentor...well ..you know where to find me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have loved to have a mentor during my uni days. I am now 41 and only just got my first one! The saying...'It takes a village to raise a child'...continues to be true throughout life. As humans, we too often believe that we have to do it all ourselves...this is a huge pressure and an unwarranted belief. My advice to students (no, all young people everywhere) is to reach out...find someone you admire and grab a coffee with them. Pick their brain. Have a list of questions prepared. Say thank-you. Cheers...Tim.

jgushue said...

Thanks Tim! I appreciate you reading my blog and posting your comments. I hope more people will consider being mentors to young students or professionals.